Monday, 11 August 2014

MUA Velvet Lip Lacquers



 blurrrrrrrr


When it comes to high street beauty, I definitely pick Boots over Superdrug every time, but I thought I would pop in to check if they had any Tanya Burr cosmetics in stock. Sadly they didn't.
Superdrug does, however, stock MUA which if you are not familiar is a really affordable brand which I am tempted to compare with Seventeen that can be found in Boots.

With lipsticks being £1 a pop I thought I would have a little nose to see if anything caught my eye but found drawn to their newer items instead. Much like Seventeen, MUA seem to have revamped their products and have come out with items that can rival other brands such as face fixing sprays, liquid luminisers, face form kits and matte lip lacquers. 

The velvet lip lacquers they had on offer were a little sparse as most of the selection had been nabbed already. I took this as a sign that these had been a hit with other make up lovers and decided to pick up two; Atomic which is a vibrant orangey coral and Kooky which is a deep plum/purple. 

The application is relatively smooth, I find that in some areas the colour can be a little transparent but with a second coat the pigmentation is excellent. Drying time is super quick which enables a second coat to be applied a mere minute or so after - perfect if you are in a rush!

About an hour or so after my first ever application and debut out in public, I was aware of that awful papery, peeling, foundation lip line. Without having the lacquer or a mirror with me (school girl error), all I could do was hope that it didn't look as bad as it felt. At the first chance I got, I checked the matte gloss and my fears were true. Half of the beautiful orange I covered my lips in had vanished leaving me with a terrible line that made me look like I got ready in the dark. The texture is awful too; incredibly drying which felt like I had two bits of tissue rubbing together. 

As a whole, I am rather disappointed in the velvet lip lacquers. Retailing at £3.00, I won't loose sleep over it, but when the colour spectrum on offer is as good as slightly more expensive brands and an obvious effort has gone into packaging the items, you think you are onto a winner. Whilst the colour is really beautiful, the longevity of the product is poor and I would say these are one to stay on the shelf.

I am now on the hunt for a vibrant orange/coral lipstick or lip lacquer so if you have any recommendations be sure to let me know!!

MUA you have certainly upped your game visually, but the product it self lets it down so much that the slightly 'luxe' vibe I think you are aiming for is a complete waste of all resources, soz peeps!

xox

Follow Me

6 comments:

  1. Loved this post; You're so good at writing! I was loving 'Atomic' colour, I'm now gutted the product isn't very good :( Maybe try TopShop 'Disty' lipstick it's a coral red colour and I love it - I wrote about it in my most recent outfit post.

    Ps. Loving the Fred Perry top.

    Lots of Love,

    Saranne xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a shame they don't last long because the colours are gorgeous!

    India / Touchscreens & Beautyqueens

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds disappointing! The Tanya Burr lipgloss are great though, I think you'll like them once you find them :) As for orange lipsticks, revlon do nice ones :)

    laurenslittleblogs.blogspot.co.uk : Student Box Swap

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had the same problem & made the same mistake of going out without it & a mirror. Cue walking around tesco looking like an idiot & trying to hide my lips. I love the Bourjois velvet lips and hot pepper is a bright orangey red.
    Beth x
    Mermaid In Disguise

    ReplyDelete