Tuesday, 17 September 2013

Wednesday's Winter Essentials; Snug at School.

When the winter months are drawing in, sometimes the transition can be a little difficult if you are not yet prepared or are a little stuck for style inspo.
So, to try and help a little I have come up with a series of four 'Wednesday's Winter Essentials', which shall be my interpretation of ways to still look cute but without getting frostbite.

The first out of the four posts shall be dedicated to wrapping up warm for school, college or post 16.
I have tried to keep in mind the kind of budget a student and their parents have to play with when it comes to purchasing bits for school but that can also be worn on the weekends etc.



Coat, Tesco        Boots, Topshop        Beanie, NewLook        Scarf, Topshop
Mittens, Monki        Floral Flask, DotComGiftShop        Umbrella, NewLook


Last year saw the trend of the parker with the contrasting sleeves take the high street by storm. I always love a nice green parker coat with a furry hood but thought this deep red colour was a nice alternative to the various olive and khaki shades about.
This number is from none other than the good old supermarket, Tesco which is perfect for all the mums or thrifty savers who love to top up their clubcard points (don't even get me started on how strict I get at making sure the points are nabbed before any payment has gone through grrrr!).
Lined with faux shearling and a snuggly fur hood, at £45.00 this winter warmer will see you through to Spring and to the following winter without fail.
Another detail which made me think this would be perfect for those going to school/college/post 16 is the longer length. Hitting the thigh area, this coat will prevent you getting a soggy bottom if you are have to walk or cycle to where you study.

To make sure your tootsies aren't neglected by the wet and cold, I have chosen these Chelsea boot style wellies from Topshop. Reminiscent of the Vivienne Westwood wellies that have been reproduced across the high street, this is a design I have yet seen and thought these would be great teamed with chunky socks and tights with a school uniform and equally has nice with leggings and a chunky knit for college. At £25.00 they are reasonably affordable and a decent investment for when or if the snow sets in to stop any icy leakage - ew!

For a contrast against the red coat but a piece that I think would look great paired with a leather jacket or over jumpers and cardigans is this amazing blanket scarf from Topshop. It looks so snug and warm and the pop of blue will add a nice contrast to an outfit. At £22.00, it is a little more than what I would usually like to spend on a scarf, but it is an item that can be worn time and time again and will easily fit into most wardrobes to take you through winter to Spring 2014.

To balance the slightly pricey scarf, I opted for this bargain beanie from NewLook. At £4.99 it isn't going to break the bank but will still look cool with other jackets and clothes. Hats like these are a staple through the colder and warmer months alike, they give a nice grunge edge to outfits and at such an affordable price, you can buy all 5 colours if your heart so desires.

Adding a little personality to my picks are these adorable kitten mittens from Monki. These too are really affordable at £6.00 and are perfect for keeping warm whilst flicking through your phone, rummaging in your purse for bus money or eating lunch. I really like the underside that covers your palm; they have adorable paw prints and I love the ears too!

If you are someone who has to travel a lot via bus or train or coach to school etc, or just likes to have a warm drink in the morning then this gorgeous flask is ideal.
From one of my most favourite online shops for all things homely, cute and kitsch, DotComGiftShop really delivered with this adorable flask.
It comes in a few different colours and designs so you can pick and choose one that suits you and brings a little more interest to your 'look' whilst you sip your hot chocolate waiting for the bus.
The flask will set you back £12.95 so may not be something you jump to buy, but if you are in the market for a cute drinks container then I highly recommend taking a look! Whilst you browse the different designs, definitely take a look at their other wears on the site, I guarantee if you are a fan of shabby chic and cuteness, it will definitely be for you!

And last but not least is this simple frilly brolly from NewLook. No one likes to ruin their hair and face on their way to school or work or wherever so an umbrella to chuck in your bag in an essential!
England is unpredictable; one minute it can be hot and the next we are in the midst of a thunder storm. Even if you are fortunate to get a lift to wherever you need to be, at £6.99 is it really worth taking the risk?
I really like the pretty frill that surrounds the edge, it adds a nice detail to what would otherwise be your basic black umbrella and won't compromise how you look in any outfit. The hook makes it easy to dry out when you have finished using it too!





Follow on Bloglovin

21 comments:

  1. ahh I love all of these items that you've picked out :) makes me feel all warm & snug!
    chanelle jade xx

    www.chanellejade.blogspot.com
    don't forget to enter my soap & glory giveaway

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aha I love being snug in autumn - need to hunt down my own perfect coat now! xx

      Delete
  2. I love how the coat is a wine/burgundy colour coat, usually it's khaki green so it's great seeing something different! Also love the boots! :) xx

    adaliascloset.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, the new berry shade is such a nice alternative x

      Delete
  3. Great essentials, I'm in love with that coat and I def need those boots *-*
    Lovely blog darlin, what about following each other via GFc and Bloglovin? Just let meknow!
    Xxx

    Carolina

    www.the-world-c.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) I shall take a look at your blog x

      Delete
  4. Beautiful choices! I'm in love with parkas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey beautiful, thank you so much for commenting on my blog, how sweet of you, i am now following you on GFC (24) feel free to do the same so we could stay in touch <3

    mandyshareslife.blogspot.com

    MandySharesLife FACEBOOK PAGE

    ReplyDelete
  6. NEED the scarf in my life!

    Sophie xo
    http://soinspo.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  7. great choice for the clothe

    follow?:)

    http://steph-annieblog.blogspot.fr/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Perfect choices!! <3333333333333
    Thanks for the comment!
    http://annluckindarkdays.blogspot.pt/ - Giveaway on the blog

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the coat! i liked the khaki ones from last year but I think I actually prefer the deep red colour :)

    http://laurenslittleblogs.blogspot.co.uk/
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. same, I really liked the one from Zara but I really like the red version more to! x

      Delete
  10. Love the jacket - great find. I also love this trend, and it's really nice to see it in a colour other than khaki! This jacket also looks a bit thicker than some of this style which is great because let's face it, it's freezing already!
    Rachel :)
    http://weebitofrachel.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  11. i love love love the jacket! such a nice colour!
    definitely going to pick that up when pay day arrives!
    just found your blog through instagram and glad I did!
    am now following xx

    www.hollllisa.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete